DANVILLE, Va. (WFXR) – The Institute for Advanced Learning and Research (IALR) has inaugurated the construction of a 51,250 square foot Center for the Advancement of Manufacturing (CMA), located on the IALR campus , offering a cutting-edge business success platform specifically aimed at manufacturing companies establishing or expanding their presence in South Virginia.
The total project cost of $ 25.5 million is funded by the Commonwealth and the Danville Regional Foundation is being built in cooperation with the Virginia Engineering and Buildings Division.
âSouthern Virginia has a rich Workforce Development Program in place to meet the hiring needs of leading edge manufacturers in the region and state. The new Center for Manufacturing Advancement is a natural next step in positioning our region as a leader in this sector and as an expert resource for companies wishing to locate here locally.
Mark Gignac, Executive Director of IALR
The CMA is scheduled to open in 2022 and will be built alongside the recently completed Kyocera SGS Tech Hub facility, comprising two floors, offices, meeting rooms, areas to house support services and the following equipment for the tenants of the manufacturer:
- Rapid launch facilities allowing new businesses to begin limited offsite operations during what is traditionally initial downtime as new businesses wait for their plant to be built and equipped to support full operations;
- An ISO certified inspection laboratory providing integrated inspection capabilities required to validate product quality. This service will reduce from four to six months the start-up phase of a new business, the time required to certify an inspection laboratory;
- Process improvement labs enabling new and existing businesses to improve their processes faster, thus ensuring global competitiveness;
- An integration and training lab for Industry 4.0 supporting next-generation manufacturing requirements
- A collaborative innovation platform enabling manufacturing companies, technology companies and engineering students to work together to discover, integrate and showcase emerging technologies; and
- Concierge service providing the comprehensive assistance that new businesses in the United States need during their critical start-up phase.
The CMA is expected to serve as an important economic development tool, providing Virginia with a competitive advantage in 21st century manufacturing. Its location on the IALR campus will allow it to leverage its resources by leveraging its governance, leadership and administrative support from IALR.