In a statement made today in honor of His Holiness on the 14the 86 of the Dalai Lamae anniversary, Namgyal Monastery – the Dalai Lama’s personal monastery and North American headquarters – has announced plans to build a Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center on his land in Ithaca, New York. The press release details the launch of a $ 5 million Public fundraising campaign to support the project, which represents the first phase of a development planned to include the construction of a Dalai Lama museum on the site at a later date. Both projects will be the only facilities of their kind in the world.
“We are seeking the support of donors for a project of great benefit to all mankind, the construction of the library and learning center of His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama,” said Tenzin Choesang, president of the monastery of Namgyal at Ithaca. âOur vision, which is supported and shared by the Dalai Lama, is to foster true human interconnection and unity in an increasingly divided world. is open to anyone, in person and online. “
The Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center will span 9,240 square feet and serve as a repository for all work from the present and the past. Dalai Lamas, and a place of study and exploration for the public, including students, academics, spiritual, civic and business leaders, and practitioners of all faiths. The learning center will be a physical space as well as a virtual destination (via its robust website) for people across North America and the world, offering free and low cost programs such as classes, lectures, seminars, meditation and more.
The Dalai Lama Trust launched the fundraising campaign with a $ 1.3 million donation, and generous donors and members of the public have already made an additional donation $ 1.2 million of the $ 5 million needed by the end of the year to complete the library and learning center. With suggested donation levels starting at 25 $, this is an opportunity for many to express their support for the project, which will help to:
- Create a learning center that promotes core human values ââto include compassion, forgiveness, tolerance, contentment and self-discipline regardless of nationality, religion or origin – both in person and online, with a wide range of free and low cost programs (i.e. meditations, workshops, lectures, retreats) accessible to everyone across the world
- Build understanding between different religions and cultures by promoting dialogue and study with the aim of promoting a culture of peace and compassion, thus impacting social change taking into account the flourishing collective impact that our actions have on each other on others
- To extend the work of His Holiness the Dalai Lama by bringing together scientists, philosophers and practitioners to explore and build bridges between the philosophy of contemplative wisdom and science, in particular the science of mind and consciousness
- To establish an academic center for the study and preservation of Tibetan Buddhist culture and history with its unique language, people, literature, art forms, architecture and performing arts, and its commitment to protect the natural resources of our environment
- Preserve the collected works of the present and the past Dalai Lamas from Tibet
âWe welcome all types of support – whether it’s money, time or other resources – from individuals to businesses, foundations and other organizations,â Choesang said. “We need the public’s help to make this vision of a better and inclusive world where our differences spark each other’s curiosity and appreciation into a reality.”
Means of assistance:
- Spread the word by sharing the project on social media
- Make a donation via the site donation link
- Buy through AmazonSmile as 0.5% of the total purchase will be donated to the project (select Namgyal Monastery Dharma Center as the charity of choice)
- Volunteer by loaning skills, talents and resources
- Become a partner by donating a portion of the proceeds from the sale of a company’s products to help fund the project
All donations are tax free, as the Dalai Lama Library and Learning Center is under the Buddhist Studies Institute of Namgyal Monastery, a 501 (c) (3). Donations can be made by check, online credit card, wire transfer, stock donation, or planned donation. To learn more about this project – including the special gifts donors receive for their contributions – visit www.dalailamalearningcenter.org. To discuss a donation or for any questions, send an email [emailÂ protected]. Follow the campaign and project on social media @dalailamalearningcenter.
A fundraising campaign for the second phase of the project – the development of the Dalai Lama Museum, which will require $ 10 million to be developed – will begin when the fundraising for the first phase is complete. Inquiries regarding the Dalai Lama Museum should be directed to [emailÂ protected].
SOURCE PR kitchen table