The Senior Curriculum and Technology Enhanced Learning Officer will be part of King’s Professional Services team supporting SUSTech – King’s Joint Education Institute (JEI), based in Shenzhen, China.
The incumbent will coordinate the administration of three new joint programs:
• MBBS Medicine: a six-year program leading to a primary medical qualification recognized by the GMC.
• BSc Biomedical Science: four-year program aimed at equipping graduates for a career in scientific research or employment in industry or related fields.
• BEng Biomedical Engineering: four-year program designed to train the next generation of biomedical engineers working in research, industrial and service delivery environments.
The incumbent will organize student, program and assessment operational activity throughout the annual life cycle, from enrollment to graduation; coordinate communications and the production of publications, such as program manuals and virtual learning environment content; and ensuring that the JEI is always welcoming and proactive in its support of students and academic staff.
The post holder will receive competitive compensation and benefits, including accommodation in China and flights to and from the UK.
This position will be offered as a permanent contract or as a two-year secondment for internal candidates.
This is a full time position. The successful candidate will have a three to four month induction at King’s College London before starting their duties at the SUSTech campus in Shenzhen.
- Coordinate the provision of operational services within the JEI, to ensure the provision of high quality administrative support services to facilitate effective academic delivery.
- Work closely with SUSTech and King’s College London teams and the JEI Head of Administration to plan program cycles and operational timelines, identify priorities and demonstrate flexibility throughout the cycle, recognize when priorities change, modify plans and adapt accordingly.
- Coordinate program, placement and assessment activities across all JEI programs in accordance with agreed processes.
- Coordinate the production of schedules for all teaching, placement and assessment activities, liaising with academic and professional services colleagues.
- Coordinate and maintain JEI VLE pages in collaboration with academic colleagues to ensure that their program and module content is accurate and that other student or course information is available.
- Support the coordination of placement activities for MBBS program students, ensuring sites have accurate and timely information.
- Work closely with partner hospitals ensuring portfolio requirements are maintained.
- Coordinate student work, fitness to practise/study ability and professionalism as required in accordance with agreed upon policies and processes.
- Coordinate all assessment activities throughout the academic cycle, including coursework submission, in-person and online exams (including OSCEs), portfolio, grade collation, and grade entry.
- Provide the point of contact for daily student inquiries; provide prompt responses within agreed timelines and ensure queries are resolved.
- Provide training on Student Records and Keats (VLE), supporting Academic and Professional Services staff on the best use of College systems and liaising with Faculty Education Services and Central KCL if necessary.
- Take personal responsibility for the quality of data on student records, ensuring that records are properly retained in accordance with agreed retention schedules.
- Ensure that all work is carried out in a professional and timely manner, with appropriate confidentiality and sensitivity.
- Be able to contribute to reporting on service levels and operational performance, proactively identifying areas of risk to student experience or program integrity and escalating as necessary.
Skills, knowledge and experience
1. Excellent written and oral communication skills.
2. Experience with both student records system and virtual learning environment such as SITS/Moodle.
3. Ability to work with a wide range of stakeholders and across multiple teams in different locations in a professional and confident manner.
4. Proactive approach and ability to work independently.
5. Ability to work under pressure to successfully complete a range of competing priorities, and to request and utilize support as needed.
6. Customer service oriented approach with a commitment to personal accountability and continuous improvement.
7. Excellent working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
8. Excellent time management and organizational skills and ability to work under tight deadlines.
9. Strong commitment to equality and diversity in the workplace.
1. Working knowledge of Mandarin.
2. Good understanding of web technologies, web management standards and best practices, including device-agnostic or mobile-centric approaches to responsive design.
3. Experience in multimedia production (eg podcasting, vodcasting, lecture capture, screencasts).
4. Experience in online education, instructional development and/or content creation, production of learning/training materials for different audiences.
the SUSTech – King’s Coeducational Institute (JEI) is an ambitious project between King’s College London and the Southern University of Science & Technology to create a joint world-class medical school in Shenzhen, China. The JEI aims to innovate; contribute to the innovative development of China; stimulate the economic and societal progress of Guangdong; and help Shenzhen become a modern and international city.
JEI will seek to engage with the high-tech and medical technology industry in southern China and Hong Kong to generate educational and curricular advances. It will also support the provision of clinical and related non-clinical health care, initially comprising degrees in medicine, biomedical sciences and biomedical engineering, and expanding over time to include a range of joint non-clinical programs of first undergraduate and masters in disciplinary areas where there is potential for immediate mutual benefit – including IT, business and finance – to create a comprehensive JEI consistent with our common longer-term vision.
The JEI will enable business collaboration and the potential for future development of joint research institutes in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macau Greater Bay Area in areas such as biomedical engineering, advanced therapies and biomedicine related to aging. The JEI will promote clinical services, training and counseling opportunities and expand the two institutions’ relationships into other health disciplines, including mental health, pharmacy, nursing and dentistry.